Monday, July 18, 2005

Let the Weaseling Begin

Today Bush has changed his rhetoric to distance his once hard line claim that the leaker/leakers would not be serving in his administration.

President Bush said Monday that if anyone on his staff committed a crime in the CIA-leak case, that person will "no longer work in my administration." At the same time, Bush yet again sidestepped a question on the role of his top political adviser, Karl Rove, in the matter.

This is a long way from when he said he would fire anyone involved in the incident. This means that even if Rove is indicted, he will keep his job. I guess the ethics of the matter mean nothing to the president.

Bush Vows to Fire Anyone Convicted of Leak

On Sunday, Matt Cooper confirmed the Karl Rove was his informant that Valerie Plame worked at the CIA and WMD issues.

"Rove did, however, clearly indicate that she worked at the 'agency' - by that, I told the grand jury, I inferred he obviously meant the C.I.A. and not, say, the Environmental Protection Agency. Rove added that that she worked on W.M.D. (the abbreviation for weapons of mass destruction) issues and that she was responsible for sending Wilson. This was the first time I had heard anything about Wilson's wife."

Additionally, according to Cooper's comments, Rove probably knew that the information was classified:

"The notes, and my subsequent e-mails, go on to indicate that Rove told me material was going to be declassified in the coming days that would cast doubt on Wilson's mission and his findings," Mr. Cooper wrote.

Rove also ended the converstion by saying, "I've already said too much." Hmmmm....


Reporter Says He First Learned of C.I.A. Operative From Rove

No comments: