Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Will the Real VP Please Step Forward

My own little conspiracy theory - Cheney's little hospital visit was probably just a cold, but I don't think that will be the end to his health issues over the next couple of years. My guess is that Cheney will only last another year or two before he steps aside for "health reasons" so the NeoCons can hand pick their own candidate for the 2008 election. After Cheney steps down, the NeoCons will be able to confirm one of their own to the open VP seat, thus giving the future presidential candidate a springboard into the 2007 GOP primaries. Karl Rove and the rest of the posse don't like leaving things to chance. With the field wide open for GOP moderates like McCain or Pataki, the NeoCons will be pushing hard to make sure a fellow hawk who can also appeal to the newly empowered TheoCons will be sitting on top when the party ranks choose their next nominee.

Just my guess...

If anyone would like to comment on who they think would be Bush's sucessor, please do so.

1 comment:

Dingo said...

Na... I don't think it would be either one of them. Powell is anything but a NeoCon and they know they would have no control on him if he was elected. He believes in the "global test" as much a Kerry does (and when I say global test, I mean the way Kerry defines it, not how Karl Rove re-defined it).

Condi is no good either. She is smart, but she is not quick on her feet (as shown by the 9/11 hearings). She is also seen as a puppet and would easily be defined as such. I don't think she would pull much vote from women. Women will vote for a strong and independent woman, but actually tend to turn against women who are seen as being controlled by a man behind the scenes.

I think it would be someone from outside the current administration. If they were smart, they would bring in Giuliani. He is hawkish, but I think he would fall far short on the TheoCon requirements (too socially progressive).