Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Sorry Bub

Moussaoui, who will be spending the rest of his life in a very, very small box, tried to recind his guilty plea because the jury spared his life.

Sorry Chief, but you should have thought about that before you said that you were proud to have been part of the death of 3000 innocent Americans.

Moussaoui's Move to Recant Guilty Plea Is Denied
By NEIL A. LEWIS
Published: May 9, 2006

WASHINGTON, May 8 — Zacarias Moussaoui, who was sentenced last week to life in prison for his role in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, filed a motion on Monday asking to withdraw his guilty plea and go to trial again.

Judge Leonie M. Brinkema quickly rejected Mr. Moussaoui's motion, noting that under federal law a defendant may not withdraw a plea after sentencing. Nonetheless, the motion contained some interesting tidbits.

Mr. Moussaoui said he pleaded guilty in April 2005, over the advice of his court-appointed lawyers, because his "understanding of the American legal system was completely flawed." He said he was "extremely surprised" that the jury in the federal court in Alexandria, Va., decided to spare his life.

As a result, Mr. Moussaoui said he wanted to withdraw his guilty plea "because I now see that I can receive a fair trial even with Americans as jurors and that I can have the opportunity to prove that I did not have any knowledge of and was not a member of the plot to hijack planes and crash them into buildings on Sept. 11."

He said, "I had thought that I would be sentenced to death based on the emotions and anger toward me for the deaths on Sept. 11, but after reviewing the jury verdict and reading how the jurors set aside their emotions and disgust for me and focused on the law and the evidence that was presented during the trial, I came to understand that the jury process was more complex than I had assumed."


(Full Story)

1 comment:

SC&A said...

The funny thing is, no one believed him anyway, re his claims.

I hope he just rots and ferments.

By the way, someone posing as you said some of my posts were flawed! Can you believe it???